What data do we collect?
hostworld collects the following data:
- Company name
- Email address
- Security question and answer
- Address, post code and country
- Telephone number(s)
- Internet Protocol (IP) address
How do we collect your data?
You directly provide hostworld with most of the data we collect. We collect data and process data when you:
- Register an account online or place an order for any of our products or services
- Voluntarily complete a customer survey or provide feedback on any of our message boards, knowledgebase articles or via email
- Use or view our website via your browser’s cookies
- Payment processors may pass limited information to us such as, the last 4 digits of your payment card, expiry date of payment card, your address, post code and country of payment card and your email address associated with the payment processor
How will we use your data?
hostworld collects your data so that we can:
- Process your order and manage your account
- If you opt into marketing emails, we may email you with special offers on other products and services we think you might like
- Service and product updates, such as when a new feature is released that you may benefit from
- Process repeat payments if these have been pre-agreed
- Comply with “know your customer” legislation and so we can enforce any terms of service breaches that may require legal recourse
When hostworld processes your order, it may send your data to, and also use the resulting information from, credit reference agencies to prevent fraudulent purchases. We may share personal data about you with the following third parties:
- A law enforcement or regulatory agency at their request
- A person or company who acquires our business
- Third parties who perform services on our behalf (such as payment processing)
- To the parent, associates, companies under ultimate common ownership with and subsidiary companies of HOSTWORLD LIMITED, as necessary to provide the services and assist with our business operations
- As otherwise needed to protect or enforce our rights or the rights of others.
How do we store your data?
hostworld stores your personal data and payment information on databases located in the UK which are backed up to remote servers nightly using an encrypted transport link. We will take reasonable security measures to protect your personal data in our databases.
If you opt into marketing emails, hostworld may send you information about products and services of ours that we think you might like, as well as those of our partner companies. However, we will never provide any third parties with your personal details, including your name, email address or any other personal data without your expressed, prior consent.
- If you have agreed to receive marketing, you may always opt out at a later date.
- You have the right at any time to stop hostworld from contacting you for marketing purposes.
- If you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, please opt out via https://portal.hostworld.uk/clientarea.php?action=details and deselect the mailing list.
What are your data protection rights?
hostworld would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights. Every user is entitled to the following:
- The right to access – You have the right to request hostworld for copies of your personal data. We may charge you a small fee for this service if your request for personal data is excessive to cover the administration effort to facilitate this. Standard requests will carry no charge.
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request that hostworld correct any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request hostworld to complete the information you believe is incomplete.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to request that hostworld erase your personal data, under certain conditions. We will comply with any requests to exercise your rights in accordance with applicable law. Please be aware, however, that there are a number of limitations to these rights, and there may be circumstances where we are not able to comply with your request.
The below data is stored for the mandatory 7 years required by HMRC in the event of an account audit: (7 year countdown timer starts from when you no longer have any active services and have opted to close your account): Full name, Full Address, Email Address, Phone number, Country, Company name, VAT number, Order/product records, Invoices, Transactions (ID’s, amounts, timestamps, payment method). All other data is stored for 6 months before being purged from our databases, this includes, but is not limited to: General logging (such as actions with our control panel), Email logs, Ticket attachments, Tickets and replies, API logs, abuse reports, live chat conversations.
- The right to restrict processing – You have the right to request that hostworld restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to object to processing – You have the right to object to hostworld’s processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to data portability – You have the right to request that hostworld transfer the data that we have collected to another organization, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us by email [email protected]
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard Internet log information and visitor behaviour information. When you visit our websites, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology.
- Keeping you signed in
- Understanding how you use our website
- Allowing us to support you via our live chat facility
- Tracking visitors to understand how people use our website and where they came from
- Functionality – hostworld uses these cookies so that we recognize you on our website and remember your previously selected preferences. These could include what language you prefer and location you are in. A mix of first-party and third-party cookies are used
How do I disable cookies?
Here's how to prevent new cookies from being installed and how to delete existing cookies. The exact procedure depends on which browser you are using. We provide links the documentation of the most popular web browsers below. You can use the same instructions to opt out of cookies for this website, but as we've stated above this may affect your ability to use our website and services.
- Internet Explorer. To prevent new cookies from being installed follow the instructions here.
- Firefox. To prevent new cookies from being installed follow the instructions here.
- Google Chrome. To prevent new cookies from being installed follow the instructions here.
- Safari. To prevent new cookies from being installed and delete existing cookies for iOS follow the instructions here. For Mac follow the instructions here.
Privacy policies of other websites
We utilise Google Analytics on our website to provide important data to us and you can find information about how Google uses your data when you access our website by visiting https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
How to contact the appropriate authority
Should you wish to report a complaint or if you feel that hostworld has not addressed your concern in a satisfactory manner, you may contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Information Commissioner's Office
Telephone: 0303 123 1113